Abrecht, D.G. Dr; Ph: (08) 9368 3499; Mobile 0417 934 648; Fax: (08) 9368 2165; firstname.lastname@example.org
French, R.J. Dr; Ph: (08) 9081 3126; Fax: (08) 9041 1138
Research organisation: Agriculture Western Australia, 3 Baron Hay Court, South Perth WA 6151
Sponsor: GRDC, Grains Research and Development Corporation
1. To investigate the impact of water deficit during crop establishment on the germination, emergence and seedling mortality of lupins;
2. To determine the effect of water deficit during crop establishment on growth, development and potential yield of lupins;
3. To develop recommendations and decision aids which will help minimise risk associated with early sowing of lupins on a range of soil types.
Three research officers will collaborate in this project to examine:
1. The impact of water deficit during lupin crop establishment.
2. The impact of seedbed management on crop death or damage during establishment.
3. The chances that drought during establishment will cause establishment problems, crop death or damage at a range of locations and sowing times.
Dr. French (Merredin) will be mainly concerned with determining the impact of soil water availability during crop establishment on the germination, emergence, mortality, development and potential yield of lupin. Soil surface management has a marked influence on seedbed conditions. K. McCarthy (Geraldton) will be concerned with assessing agronomic options for minimising the risk of poor crop establishment in early sown lupins in the northern wheatbelt. These trials will document the impact of specific management options such as planting method and planting depth on seed germination, seedling emergence and vigour and seed and seedling mortality. Dr. Abrecht will be primarily concerned with coordinating the project, climatic and data analysis, computer modelling of the impact of soil water deficit during establishment and predictions of risk.
Progress: Identified risks associated with the early sowing of lupins.
Period: starting date 1993-01; completion date 1996-12
Keywords: lupins; legume crops; computer modelling; risk management; sowing date
Publications: No details available